Thursday, July 18, 2013

Alice Beatrice Martin nee Reynolds


The following reminiscences were told to me over a few occasions when I visited my mother at the Hillcrest Nursing Home, Sydney on October 22nd 1993 and subsequent visits. Having an interest in family history we talked about her family as I was keen to find out more about herself and her parents George and Alice who lived in Eye, Suffolk.  These notes are not necessarily sequential but as she recalled them at the time with the help of a lot of cups of tea. Mother had a very good memory considering she was 95 years old at the time. I have not corrected grammar or details as I was keen to convey the conversations just as she spoke to me. It is not a full “Memoir” nor is it intended to be but recollections of a remarkable lady who lived a remarkable life. When speaking to her on the telephone who can forget the traces of Suffolk accent that lingered after all those years.

"I was born on 10th November 1898 in a house in Magdalene Street, Eye, Suffolk.  Most children at that time were born at home, delivered by a midwife and not in a hospital as they are today.  The Doctor was only called when there were complications which seemed to be less prevalent than today perhaps because of the different plain food of the day.  My mother Alice (often called “Granny Reynolds even by friends and neighbours) was called quite often to deliver babies in the village.  For some reason they always seem to come during the night.

My mother Alice Beatrice Rayner was born in Bury St Edmunds on 11th December 1860 the second of ten children as they had large families in those days.  When I was born she was a late first time mother by today’s standards as she was thirty eight years old.  My father George Reynolds was born in Eye on 3rd March 1855 to James Reynolds and Sophia Burroughs the last of nine children so I had lots of aunts and uncles.  George trained in Ipswich as a watchmaker and later had a jeweller/ watchmaker shop in Magdalene Street, Eye.  He was sitting on a gate with a friend in a meadow leading to Abbey Farm when a horseman came by and told them that his horse could jump the fence. Apparently, he tried to do that but the horse’s hooves caught the top rung of the gate which broke the gate, but because my father’s foot was caught in the gate he ended up breaking both legs. The local Doctor didn’t set the leg properly which resulted in one leg being shorter than the other and was subsequently lame as a result of the accident. I didn’t know how my mother and father met but possibly George could have gone to Bury St Edmunds for supplies for his shop or through the St Peter and St Paul’s church choir which travelled fairly extensively. Both of my parents were in the choir and George had a very good tenor voice and had sung in the choir for about 20 years during which time he had gone to Belgium and France twice with the choir. I think that he was the third generation of his family to sing in the local church choir.

When I was about three years old I can remember standing on the kitchen table whilst my mother fitted a frock on me which she had made for me (and stuck a pin in me) There is a family photograph of me when I was about four years old sitting on a couch in a bright red coat with a red velvet collar edged with fur (red with black on it’s edge) plus a big white hat with white gloves that had been taken off and laid down besides me. I loved that coat. At the same time I wore high button up gaiters to my knees indicating that it was taken during the winter. My mother gave me a birthday party for some friends and I was sitting in front of the fire when I suddenly fell forward and burnt my finger on the bars of the fire. Still have a long scar on my right middle finger which doesn’t allow me to straighten the finger completely. Needless to say it was the end of the party.

My father had a small Governess Cart and I used to go out with him prior to school to the big houses of the district where he attended to the clocks in the house. He would wind them up and regulate the time on them. I used to love it because I would sit in the housekeeper’s room with a piece of cake and a glass of milk feeling quite important. My father also looked after the Eye Town Hall clock and I can remember seeing white mice at the top of the stairs there when climbed up to the top to where the clock was.

My first school was the Eye National School which was located near the foot of the old ruined castle built up on a mound. Mary Ann Reynolds (who was my Aunt Dudie) was headmistress of the infant school prior to me going there.  The castle no longer exists and only a few ruins remain. A Mrs March who lived in a thatched cottage at the foot of the hill used show visitors around for a shilling a time.  I can remember steep round stairs going up to the top of the hill or mound. The ruins fell in on itself after a very high wind one day. Then I went to the “big” school for older children. I enjoyed the school and made quite a few friends there who became lifelong friends. After that school I went on to the Grammar school near the church and the Headmaster lived in the Tudor style building next door which later became the Guildhall.  One day after school, my friends and I went for a walk and came across a large tree near school which had blown down and fallen over a ditch.  My friends Vicki Norman, Doris Day, Ida Torbell and myself played at walking over the fallen tree which spanned a sewerage ditch. Guess who slipped in? Later on the ditch was filled in but too late to help me. Being very wet and smelly I had to go home straight away but just before I got home a man named Cork Hines was standing at his gate and said “Beattie Reynolds, wait until your father sees you”
Just as I reached the front door my mother opened the door and obviously smelt me right away because she said,”Don’t you dare come in the house smelling like that” She made me strip off all my clothes in the stable next door until I was naked and then I had to run into the house where she was waiting with a bucket of water. We didn’t have a bathroom in those days but used a tin bath in placed front of the fire. When my father came home from work I got a good hiding and told not to go there again.  An old man who lived next door to us had an old swaybacked horse which he used to let me ride when he took it down to the River Dove for a wash. I used to walk it home because it was still wet.  I would have loved to have had a horse of my own to ride whenever I wanted to.
I was sixteen when I left the Grammar school.  I stayed home for a while helping my mother out due to my father being in a wheelchair. He had had a stroke after his accident and lost the use of his legs below the knees about a year earlier but could still manage to get up and down the stairs by himself. Because my father couldn’t get around my mother use to send me with a small pail with a lid on it to bring her back some stout from Daisy’s mother’s pub the “Queens Head” which was next door.   My parents weren’t big drinkers but loved a daily drink of stout rather than beer.
I also used to go up to the railway station every night to collect the London evening paper for my father so the staff got to know me quite well.
I used to spend all my holidays with my aunt Dudie (Mary Ann) who lived in West Ham, London. Her husband was a builder but had died after falling off a scaffolding around a building.  My aunt had an old lady living with her that I used to call Aunty Charlotte but she was no relation. She had worked with my aunt Elizabeth at Windsor Castle but had been pensioned off. Charlotte had white hair and used to dress beautifully so obviously had money and usually wore black silk frocks. When I used to visit my Aunt Dudie, my father used to put me on the steam train at Eye and I was met by my Aunt at Liverpool Street Station.  Her family were quite rich and we went to her home in a very large car which I loved.  My aunt used to take me to visit her sons and my cousins as all her sons were married and I enjoyed spending time with them all. Especially as I was an only child and it was a novelty to be with a lot of people.  The sons lived at Forrest Gate not far from West Ham. To visit them I used to go by horse drawn bus and we used to sit upstairs as we could see more.  There was a little mackintosh thing that pulled out over our legs to stop them getting wet when it rained which was quite often.  My Aunt was very good to me and used to take me to such places as parks, museums etc. Aunt Dudie used to visit Eye fairly frequently as she and my father were very close.  Prior to his stroke my father used to visit London quite often. My aunt Maria (Dudie’s sister) was a widow and lived in a flat opposite Dudie’s house. Maria was a large happy soul and had two step daughters, Laura and Bessie from her second marriage.
Her son Alfred who used to be called Alexander had moved to South Africa.

When I was sixteen I applied for a position as a Nursery attendant at the local new Infirmary. There were thirty-six little children belonging to the inmates of the Infirmary and they were mostly illegitimate.  Most of them were happy little souls and played well together. Their mothers worked in the laundry, kitchen or wards to help pay for their keep.  I wore a nurse’s uniform, the same one as in the photograph, and was the youngest member of the staff.  My mother was very pleased because the Infirmary was near my home so I was able to get home quite often.  I had one half day off a week and every other half day on Sunday but we got used to working the long hours there. The children stayed in the nursery until they were three years old after which they were sent to the children’s home.  Sometimes I would get attached to one of the young children and got upset when it became time to leave the nursery.  I was given two imbecile women named Gertie and Phoebe to help me in looking after the children and their main jobs were to get meals from the kitchen, dressing the children and bathing them. They were good workers and we got on well together. The Matron used to inspect our area every day and we could hear her coming by the jangle of the keys hanging from her belt so we were warned in advance. I had a bad experience there, as one day I was called to help “lay out” a dead body and as we went to start on him he suddenly half sat up due to wind in his stomach or something so my friend and I both screamed.  During the time I was there the war had just started.  I two very close friends Ida Torbell and her sister Lily.  Lily’s husband joined the Army and within a few weeks was sent to France.  The Welch Horse Artillery was stationed at Hoxne which is near Eye. They, of course, were horse soldiers and as Ida’s parents had a confectionary shop (bread, cakes, buns etc.) the boys would go there a lot as their own food was pretty monotonous and I got to know some of them quite well.  Ida had a boyfriend named Frank Dowdall and I had Dewi Hopkins.  Both of them had been together at a University in Wales but I can’t remember which one. Frank later became a schoolmaster and Dewi became a bank manager after the war. My uncles Enoch and Ephraim had both moved down to Wales with their families.  After the soldiers were sent to France we had the Lovett Scouts, Scottish Regiment which had been raised by Lord Lovett.  The troopers had to find their own horses and uniforms.  I also made friend with some boys from the Stafford Yeomanry as there were many soldiers stationed around Eye.
After a little while Ida, Elsie Etheridge and I decided that we would join the WAAC”s (Womens Army Auxiliary Corp) so we all went off by train to Ipswich on my half day off and joined up. Ida and I passed the medical exam but poor Elsie couldn’t pass as she had a goitre on her neck. I hadn’t told my parents what I was going to do so when I got home there was a big row with my Parents as they thought that I was too young.  I told them that I was tired of looking after all of the children at the Infirmary and wanted a change.  Very shortly afterward we went off but not together as my friend Ida was going to France. I enjoyed the Army life very much and with some of my other friends we were sent to Hasting in Sussex.
Whilst we were there we had to learn the foot drills the same as the men so that we could go on parade with them. We lived in Nissan huts with about twenty women to each hut which I found a bit difficult in the beginning until I got used to it. I found it cold at night even though there was a pot bellied stove down one end of the hut.  Our washing facilities were pretty primitive. Every morning we had to do drill conducted by a very large Sergeant with a big moustache after which we went on route marches.   At first I was put into the Stores for a while and then I was transferred to the Officer’s Mess as a waitress as they were short of them.   It was much better than giving out uniforms to the new recruits.  I liked the life very much and was very happy although they kept moving me from place to place but was pleased when I finished up in Hasting again. There were six Royal Flying Corps cadets on each table, including CW Martin, who were waiting for their Commissions to come through.  Bill Martin sometimes had to go to another training camp at Aldeburgh but always came back again.  He was training to be a Navigator at that time and became a pilot later on. We got talking and finally ended up going to the pictures together and for walks in the surrounding countryside which was very pretty. As he was a Cadet he wore a white band around his hat but as Cadets and WAAC”s were not supposed to go out together he used to take his white band off and put it in his pocket. One night we bumped into one of the Officer Instructors but he didn’t say anything. His surname was Bull-Smythe and he owned a fat bulldog.  There were other girls of course who went out with the Cadets. 
In due course Bill got his Commission and was then moved around to different places of training such as Uxbridge and Aldeburgh whilst I of course was still at Hastings. My girl friends used to call him “ Reynolds One Pipper” Sometimes, we were able to get weekend leave together and meet up in London as we wanted to spend time together whenever possible.  I then joined the Womens Royal Air Force as they were disbanding the WAAC’s which turned out well as I particularly liked the uniform which was a nice blue instead of khaki. When I joined it involved a move to Shorncliffe , Sussex which made it easier to see Bill.  Sometimes Bill would come home with me to Eye to see my mother and father and I am pleased to say that they liked him very much.  Then we got the mad idea that we would like to get married so we got engaged with the approval of my parents.  Bill organised a special licence and we got married at a Registry Office at St. Giles, Bloomsbury, London which a lot of couples were doing as the war was still on and the future uncertain. Luckily we had some family there as Bert Hawkins (Albert was Aunty Kate Hawkins nee Rayners son) and his wife Agnes were able to attend the wedding. We stayed the weekend in London and the unfortunately we both had to go back to our respective camps. He was still being sent from one training place to another finishing up on Salisbury Plain.  After a while I left the Air Force as I had become pregnant and went home to live with my parents. I found Eye to be very small after living in bigger towns for a while but luckily I still had all my childhood friends living there.
One weekend Bill took me up to Preston by rail to meet his mother Emily.  His father, William, at that time was away from home as he was in the Church Army in the Middle East.  Grandma Martin spent most of her time telling us that we were too young to marry.  Bill was nineteen at that time and I was twenty so she was probably right.  My baby was born in Church Street, Eye and we called him George Edward with the George after my father.  My mother helped deliver him as she was an experienced midwife and was often called upon to help out in the Town.  Ted was a lovely big baby and very contented. By this time the war had finished and so had Bill’s short term commission so when Ted was about a year old, Bill like a number of other young officers joined the Royal Irish Constabulary. He was given the rank of Captain and was sent to Macroom in Ireland, because of the troubles caused by the Sein Feiners.  Bill was moved around quite a lot but finally settled in Macroom where he lived in the Castle. Ted was about eighteen months old at that time so I thought it was about time that Bill and I were together again and I managed to go over to Ireland.  Bill had managed to get me rooms with the Protestant Sexton and his wife who were a lovely couple and the rooms were near the Castle so it was very convenient. Life turned out to be quite social as a lot of young officers used to visit us to play cards.  Bill was very lucky as he managed to obtain a sleeping out pass. The thought of trouble was always there so he used to sleep with a loaded revolver lying on the chair by the bed.  The Sein Feiners were very active at that time and we could often hear shots being fired in the hills at the back of the town.  One day Bill had gone out in a convoy from the Castle and a curfew was placed upon the town.  The time of curfew was indicated by the ringing of bells at seven pm. When the convoy came back we realised that they had been ambushed as several bodies were lying on a tarpaulin on the back of the truck. Of course I was very worried until I saw that Bill was driving one of the trucks because the driver had been killed.  Four of the R I C had been killed.  The bodies were put into the little Protestant Church until they were able to be sent back to England and it was very sad for all of us.  A little while after the ambush I found out that I was pregnant again and as we had concerns for safety I went home to live with my parents in Eye until Ray was born.  We called him Frank Rayner Martin and the Rayner was because it was my mother’s surname.

By this time Bill had rejoined the Royal Air Force on a short term commission so as I now had two children I thought that I would be better off in my own house as my parent’s house wasn’t very large. Luckily I was able to rent a house in Church Street which was the same street as my mother’s house and it was named Denmark Cottage. I paid six shillings a week rent for three rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs.  Needless to say in those days the toilet was in the back garden. A funny thing happened one night when I was down the back and was in the toilet. I was seated when suddenly the flap at the back opened up and the night soil man tried to take the toilet pan with me sitting on it. I yelped and the man said “You take your time love, I’ll wait for you” Very embarrassing. My friend Lily Scrivener and her husband helped me to clean and paint the house out as the previous owner, a schoolteacher, had had three cats which had made a great mess everywhere. Pink carbolic soap was used with lots of elbow grease and the soap made my hands very sore. I used to go to auctions where I bought furniture, carpets crockery etc.  The Auctioneer, George Lay, was very kind to me and used to bid on my behalf and then bring it home on his truck. He had a good idea of just what I could afford to pay and I am sure that he didn’t make a profit on those items. Being a small town in those days people were very friendly and helped each other.  I soon had the little house looking very nice and my mother was a great help to me both in the house and looking after children as she loved small children since I was an only child.  Our washing was done in a big copper in the laundry down the garden and we used an iron mangle with wooden rollers to get rid of as much water out of the clothes as we could as it made it easier to get the clothes dry.  Mrs Brunning my next door neighbour used to bake every Friday for a weeks bake and there were Pies, Bread and Cake etc.  Ted was old enough and used to go and collect a big bag of goodies every Friday afternoon about five o’clock.  At that time Bill was still in the RAF moving around a lot although he managed to get home quite often until he was sent to Egypt for flying training.  Once again I found that I was pregnant with my third son, Tony. He was born in Denmark cottage whilst Bill was still away.

Whilst Bill was in Egypt he fell off the back of a truck and got severe concussion so they put him in the French Catholic Hospital. He was in there for some time and then came home for three months convalescent leave. When Bill went back to work we moved closer to where he worked to Caterham to a bungalow name “Dolce Domum”.  I fell pregnant again and eventually had John and Joan. During my pregnancy I didn’t know that I was having twins until the night they were born.  Expectant mothers are so lucky now with all of the advances in knowledge.  John was a big happy baby but Joan was the opposite.  Joan cried a lot, had a touch of jaundice and three hairs only on the top of her head.  When the twins were about a year old, Bill was moved to Henlow aerodrome. We were able to rent a gloomy old farmhouse very close to the aerodrome at Clifton, Bedfordshire. It had oil lamps, very dark inside and wooden shutters to the windows. It was evident that no-one had lived there for some time as it was reputed to be haunted which we didn’t hear about until after we started living there.  There were certainly some strange things or happenings that occurred and we got scared even though we had electric light put on in the house. A friend of mine was staying with us for a week and rushed into our bedroom one night screaming and claiming that she had seen an old lady standing at the bottom of her bed.  She was able to describe the clothes that she wore and facial features. When we spoke to the farmer who owned the house he said that the description fitted an old lady who had been murdered in that bedroom.  Around that time the cat arched her back with her fur standing on end and shot out of the house and we never saw her again. Cupboards used to open and shut with no draughts being there and we heard noises on the stairs with no-one there.  Dad was reading a paper one night when all of a sudden the pages started turning over by themselves.  Pokes in the back were not uncommon.  Needless to say after six months we had had enough and moved to a modern bungalow in Tunbridge,Kent

Just after that Bill left the Royal Air Force and took it into his head to buy a greengrocery shop in Tonbridge. Unfortunately he wasn’t a good business man and got tired of it and sold it at a loss.  He then got a job in London with Smiths Aircraft Instruments and was a lot happier as it was connected to aircraft.   He was lucky enough to meet some famous aviation people of the day like Amy Johnson, Jean Batten and Jim Mollison. To be closer to work we moved to Feltham where we lived in a modern house on a new estate, then after a short time  moved to a bigger ,older house on “The Green “which was near a nice green(Small park) with a pond in the middle of it. Every year there was a big Fair on the Green and gypsies used to come around selling pegs. Because I would let them have fresh water they chalked a sign on the gate to say that we should not be bothered.  I always found them quite friendly as they were not treated very well usually. The children were usually dressed in bright clothes and had huge dark eyes. Sometimes I would give them apples from my apple trees in the back garden. Sheila, John and Joan all attended the local school there. Tony and Ray were both in the Hampton Court Palace choir which was nice. Ted was working in London.
From Feltham we moved yet again to Number 83 Curzon Avenue, Stanmore. It must have been King George’s Jubilee year which was 1936 because the children came home from school (John, Joan and Sheila) with tea spoons with the Jubilee crest on them.  Dad then started up an Air Navigation School which was based in Arundel Gardens, Notting Hill, London. It was a four story house including the basement and as it had living quarters upstairs we moved there from Stanmore. By this time Michael had been born in Stanmore and had been delivered by Nanny Richardson who was a mid-wife. The other younger children had gone to boarding school in Wimbledon for a while but the school wasn’t very satisfactory so we took them away. John,  you went to another boarding school named Muncaster at Ashford and the girls went to a convent school St Hilary’s. After about 18 months we moved once again down to Worthing in Sussex to a large modern house.  Bill had transferred his Navigation School to Shoreham, Sussex but it didn’t turn out to be a big success.

Bill got a job at Prestwick Airport, Ayrshire in Scotland as a Navigation Instructor so we moved up to 18 Midton  Road ,Ayr to this big three story Victorian Bluestone house.  Shortly after we arrived there war was declared in September 1939.  Bill was called up into the Royal Air Force and stationed at Prestwick. At this time Ray and Ted were also in the RAF and Tony was going to Ayr Academy before going on to Glasgow University.  John, Joan and Sheila attended Ayr Grammar School which was just down the road.  One day an Army Officer came to the house and said how many rooms are in this house and how many people live here.  As a result of that we had five Commandos billeted on us.  He said that they were the roughest of the rough and don’t mind the language but we hardly heard a swear word. In the middle of winter which in Scotland was cold they went out on exercises and had to land in the sea so came home sopping wet and used to sit around in our warm kitchen covered by blankets whilst their clothes dried.  We later found out that they were training for the raid on Norvik, Norway. Quite often they would come home with a rabbit or two chickens that they had ‘found” Very welcome as the meat ration was only two ounces of meat per person.  Shortly after they left us to go on their raid the Army sent a very young Lieutenant and his wife.  Imagine my surprise when I saw their wedding photograph in the society social pages of the Illustrated London News some months after they came to us. Very much in love and so naive. The wife came down one day and said “What do I do for a boil on his chest” So I told her to heat up some Kaolin and then place it on his chest.  She went ahead and heated up the Kaolin and went through to their rooms.  Next thing we heard was an anguished scream followed by rude words. Apparently she applied this very hot Kaolin poultice to his chest directly and had not firstly put it in a cloth. They were a lovely young couple but she had no idea how to cook anything so used to come to me every day before she attempted to cook a meal for him.
In 1943 Bill was transferred to Heaton Park, Manchester to help out with aircrew selection. There were not only British forces but Australian and Canadian.  Joan and Sheila were at boarding school at St Margaret’s Convent, Edinburgh. Ted, Ray and Tony were also in the Royal Air Force at that time. John was at Openshaw Technical College until August 1944 when he joined the Royal Airforce as an Apprentice Aircraft Fitter. That made five members of my family in the RAF which could have been a record.  Late in 1944 we moved to Bournemouth where Bill was involved the Royal Australian Air Force for aircrew selection and  they used to come to our home in their dark blue uniforms and strange accents. Just before we moved into our house in Bournemouth we lived in a very old cottage with wooden beams at Spettisbury where a very noisy stream ran past the bottom of the garden. In the grounds there was an old coach house and John found an old horse pistol under some rubbish.
In 1949 Bill, Sheila,Mike and I moved to South Africa as Bill thought that it would help his chronic bronchitis and asthma.  As Bill had had some hotel experience he had written to a brewery in South Africa and was given a job managing the Grand Hotel, Grahamstown where we stayed for some 18 months. The management of the hotel had decided to sell the hotel for a supermarket site se we had to move on.  Bill wanted to own a guest house so we moved to the Derwent Hotel, Capetown where we settled in for another 18 months. My life seemed to be a succession of moves. It was fairly hard work ensuring that the coloured staff kept working and did all of their jobs. I found the coloured staff responded to how you treated them. I liked South Africa and Capetown very much and we made a lot of friends there. Every weekend we used to go for long drives out in the countryside and the vineyards at Paarl and Stellenbosh. John was stationed at Heany just outside Bulawayo and used to come down on his leave at Christmas time plus usually a couple of friends. By this time Sheila was going out with Ped (Percival Pedlingham) and he gave glowing accounts of life in Australia and opportunities there. As a result, we sailed to Sydney in March 1952. We stayed at a hotel in Sydney for a while until we moved out to Blacktown which was on the outskirts of Sydney.  Bill and I had obtained jobs in the Royal Australian Navy Dockyards in the administration area until I fell sick and had a major operation.
Bill’s mother Emily, had died and left him some money so of course he had to buy another business although he wasn’t a good business man. He finished up buying a general store at Doonside which was even further away from Sydney and was really just a few houses and a railway station. The store had a grocery section, newspapers and magazines, petrol and poultry food. Ray and Mac (Margaret) joined Dad in the business for a while then Ray left as he didn’t really like the job. John and his family came out to Australia early in 1955 and John took over Ray’s job. Bill sold the business late in 1955 and moved to 49 Holroyd Road where I lived for quite a few years before coming to this Nursing Home. I still miss my home.

Like all family history devotees I should have been aware that I should have asked a lot more questions whenever I was able to get down to Sydney to see my mother. Black and white photographs do not tell you the colour of my grandmothers eyes, colour of her hair, disposition etc. It is important to collect at least a few photographs of your parents when they were younger as we tend to remember them after being affected by the ravages of time. Very soon, there will not be too many people who are able to talk to their children or grandchildren about the Second world- war or how people managed to have a good life before smart phones, TV, mobiles etc

John Martin
Family Archivist
8th July 2013











No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers